In 2011, the OMSA launched the Online Health Policy Education Initiative (OHPEI) with the goal of providing online educational materials that will increase the overall competency of medical students in the area of Health Policy.
The OHPEI will release new Health Policy materials on a regular basis developed by medical students for medical students.
CURRENT MODULES ON HEALTH POLICY
- Reaching Out to Your Local MPP (pdf)
- A guide for how to effectively communicate with your local MPP.
- By Colin Adams (UWO), Updated by Charles Yin (UWO)
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) (pdf)
- A module covering OHIP eligibility and the services provided with an emphasis on what medical students need to know as they become practicing physicians.
- By Michael Killian (UofT) and Ryan Luther (UofT), Updated by Iuliia Proveriana (Ottawa)
- Canadian Health Care Funding (pdf)
- An overview on how health care is funded in Canada and what the money is being used for.
- By Muhammad Ali Akbar (UofT)
- Governance Structure of Hospitals (pdf)
- A primer on hospital leadership
- By James Ahlin (UWO)
Ontario Medical Association (OMA)
- Political Action Network (https://www.oma.org/Member/Programs/Pages/default.aspx)
- OMA program supporting advocacy efforts through training in government and media relations and social media. Website offers webinars, political party platforms and toolkits to assist in healthcare advocacy.
- Ontario’s Doctors (http://www.ontariosdoctors.com/)
- Website developed by OMA to highlight physician leaders, express physicians concerns about the current state of the health-care system and recommend improvements.
Canadian Federation of Medical Students (http://www.cfms.org/)
- Represents Canadian medical students on national healthcare issues through Government Affairs and Advocacy Committee, Health Policy Committee and others. Website offers position papers and information on the Federal Lobby Day